The top ten web directories of the world are those which help the owners of web sites to get the maximum number of visitors. They help net surfers to find topics of search easily. There are a few web directories which are free and there are others which charge and annual fee or a pay per click charge. The top ten web directories on the World Wide Web are:
- dmoz. This is one of the free web directories of the Internet. It is also know as Directory Project (ODP). The name dmoz is a short form of directory. mozilla. org. Topics are listed by category and these categories have sub categories. A voluntary team of editors maintains dmoz.
- Yahoo Directory. This is a paid site charging an annual fee. It is owned by Yahoo. There is a Yahoo Directory Standard version and it employs a strict submission system to accept web sites for listing.
- Business.com. This is a subsidiary of Performance Based Marketing and was founded in the year 1999 by Jake Winebaum. After that it changed hands a couple of times and now is owned by Resource Nation.
- Aviva Directory. This is not an automated directory, it is edited by humans. The indexing is done through categories and sub categories.
- Goldenter.com. This is also one of the manually maintained web directories. Each listing on the web directory costs almost thirty eight dollars. This is a good site and keeps itself clean by not accepting adult sites and gambling sites. The categorisation is logical.
- mywikibiz.com.. This is one of the new and very professional web directories. The editing is very professional and the chances of getting noticed by Google and Yahoo are good here.
- World Wide Web Virtual Library. This is one of the old web directories and is very popular. It is also popular as WWWVL or plain VL. It has its offices in Geneva and England. This library owes its existence to voluntary editors.
- Best of the Web Directory. This is one of the commercial web directories. This web directory has become famous for the annual awards it issues to the best web directories of the world. It has offices in Texas, California and Florida. It is known as the btwd.org web directory.
- skaffe.com is one of the better web directories. The web directory has a huge staff of fourteen hundred voluntary editors who keep skaffe.com in ship shape.
- webdirectoryone is one of the good web directories and operates on a pay per entry format.
Listing of a web site in one of these top ten web directories is a good way to attract traffic to your web site. Google and Yahoo also keep a watch on the links categorised by these young web directories which work very hard and in innovative ways to make success on the web a possibility for everyone. The selection of good we directories also depends on years of experience on the world wide web.